FOR THE CAKE:
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup light or dark corn syrup
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 & 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
FOR THE GLAZE:
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- pinch of salt
TO MAKE THE CAKE:
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Generously grease a 10-cup Bundt pan.
- Sprinkle the pecans in the bottom of the pan.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Stir together the corn syrup and buttermilk. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix in the vanilla.
- Reduce mixer speed to low. Add the flour in three portions, alternating with two portions of the buttermilk mixture. Mix just until combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour, or until a pick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes. Then invert the cake onto a wire rack to continue cooling.
TO MAKE THE GLAZE:
- Place the brown sugar, butter, cream and salt in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool for a couple of minutes until it has thickened slightly.
- Drizzle the glaze over the warm cake.